Where to get Ballarat’s best fish and chips
Think summer, think peak fish and chips season.
From family picnics at Lake Wendouree to lazy lunches at the Eureka Stockade Gardens, fish and chips are definitely a quick and easy crowd-pleaser when hunger strikes.
But who sells Ballarat best fish and chips?
We put the question out to Visit Ballarat’s Facebook followers and the jury has spoken:
Off The Hook Fish and Chips
19 Carpenter Street, Wendouree
- “Best fish and chips of all time.”
- “Great food, great service.”
- “Great chips and friendly staff.”
- “The best in Ballarat. Very clean and excellent customer service.”
Corner of Sturt and Pleasant streets, Ballarat
- "The best fish and chips I've had in Ballarat. Huge pieces of beautiful, thick fish and generous servings of chips. And they make a great waldorf salad. The owners are very friendly and are concerned about the quality of the food produced."
- "The best by far. The difference being freshly battered and cooked is amazing and the batter is so thin. The Thai noodle salad is to die for, and the guys are so friendly also."
Rubicon Fish Shop
105a Rubicon Street, Sebastopol
- “Consistently the best. The fish has always been nice, as well as golden chips.”
- “The fish is really good. Well up there for inland fish.”
Steve’s Fish & Chips
1019 Sturt Street, Ballarat
- “Friendly staff and tasty food.”
- “Consistent great fish and chips with huge serves. Really friendly staff.”
Arch Fish Shop
1605a Sturt Street, Ballarat
- “Friendly staff and they open seven days a week.”
Alfredton Fish Shop
1773 Sturt Street, Ballarat
- “They always have the best fish and chips and even their pizzas are the best in Ballarat.”
Monte’s Fish Shop
192 Albert Street, Sebastopol
- “Best fish and chips I’ve had in a long, long, long time.”
Lucas Fish & Chips
Shop 7, Coltman Plaza, Lucas
- “Consistently serve crispy battered fish.”
Mt Clear Fish and Chips
Shop 12, Midvale Shopping Centre, Mt Clear
- "The best fish and chips in Ballarat. The owners have been in the business for over 30 years. Their steak burgers are the best."